Top 10 Immune Boosting Kitchen Healing Herbs and Foods
1. Capsicum: Did you know a cup of chopped red capsicum contains nearly three times more vitamin C than an orange?!
2. Garlic; mother natures antibiotic, great for the common cold and tummy upsets. An anti-oxidant, and excellent herb for fighting a wide range of infections and boosting the immune system.
3. Ginger; boasts inflammatory qualities and improves circulation. Widely used for motion sickness, nauseas and indigestion. Promotes sweating during fever, mild pain relief.
4. Lemons/limes: The juice and rind are an excellent rich source of vitamin C. The sour flavour also, stimulates the gastric juices that help kill bugs and germs, and in turn supports the elimination of these bugs through the large intestine.
5. Grapefruit: A potent and valuable fruit when treating colds and flu. The bitter property 'Naringin' is also considered a flavonoid, which are powerful antioxidant sources in the human diet. It is high in Vitamin C, and also has antiviral, anti-fungal, antibacterial, anticancer, and anti-inflammatory qualities, therefore supporting the most important lines of defense in the immune system.
6. Oregano: great for coughs and colds. Also an anti-fungal and can be used topically for skin conditions such as psoriasis.
7. Peppermint; soothing, refreshing and cooling, it facilitates the removal of excess mucous, promotes sweating during fever. Alleviates tummy aches, indigestion and colic. An antibacterial and antiseptic to the gut, assists in killing or expelling intestinal worms and parasites
8. Sage; an anti-septic for the mouth and throat; makes a wonderful gargle for tonsillitis and gingivitis.
9. Thyme; is your 'go to' for when you have a sore throat; it's antiseptic, anti-microbial, reduces spasm of muscles in the respiratory tract, suppresses cough reflex, facilitates the removal of excess mucous.
10. Turmeric: a potent antioxidant with inflammatory qualities. Curcumin, the active ingredient in tumeric is used in the treatment of cancer.