Top 8 tips on how and why eat a Mediterranean style diet
The Mediterranean diet already has such a good wrap, traditionally tried-and-tested with the longevity well known to those who live in the Mediterranean area, as well as scientifically proven for prevention of heart disease, and other major chronic inflammatory conditions.
Top 8 tips on how to eat a Mediterranean diet
1. Eating primarily plant-based foods, such as locally grown, seasonal fruits and vegetables, whole grains, legumes and nuts
2. Replacing butter with healthy fats such as olive oil, olives or avocado; Olives and their oil are cornerstones; Olive oil delivers healthy monounsaturated fats and plant compounds called polyphenols, which have a lower level of oxidized low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol — the "bad" cholesterol that's more likely to build up deposits in your arteries.
3. Using fresh culinary herbs and spices instead of salt to flavor foods
4. Limiting red meat to no more than a few times a month
5. Eating fresh locally caught fish and poultry as a protein source at least three times a week.
6. Enjoying meals with family and friends; with plenty of conversation and having a laugh.
7. Drinking good quality red wine in moderation (optional)
8. Getting plenty of exercise; absolutely including hills! Yes I know.. but you’ll learn to love it, when you start feeling the benefits.